Monday, September 17, 2007

Sleeping With The Enemy

My husband and I are mortal enemies. During football season, that is. He graduated from the University of Oklahoma and I, from Oklahoma State University. This is the flag in our living room-only during football season because, let's face it, it's not something that most people (women) would consider chic decor.
While this rivalry is not one of the bigger rivalries on our nation's radar, it is, in the small state of Oklahoma a HUGE game for fans of both teams. It is the Bedlam Battle and the winner of this game has bragging rights that carry beyond football season. My husband and I are at odds almost every weekend, not just during the OU/OSU weekend. He's always talking about how good OU is and how highly they are ranked and I'm always trying to throw in my little digs about how OU cheats, OU is overrated, OU fans are losers, etc. I'll admit I'm the meanest of the two of us over the whole thing. I taught our oldest daughter, when she was too young to even know what a Sooner was, to respond with "STINKS!" when asked "What do the Sooners do?" I take it much more seriously than he does and while he will root for OSU when they play someone else, I have NEVER rooted for OU to win in my entire life. EVER.
I knew when I married him that I was taking a big risk and possibly making a huge mistake. A friend of mine once told me that her dad said "You can't help who you fall in love with, but you can help who you are with in the first place." That's so true. I normally wouldn't have been caught dead fraternizing with a Sooner but, you see, by the time I found out he had graduated from OU, I was already head over heels. Oh well, I thought, he's not obsessive about OU, he even cheers for the Cowboys, so it's not that serious.
Boy, was I ever wrong. Just look what he has done to my babies!











Can this marriage be saved?

2 comments:

corts momma said...

oh Dodi how do you do it!!! They need some ORANGE on quick!!! I dont care if its OSU or Burnt TX orange!!

Anonymous said...

Girl I don't know what to say because I am going through the same thing!!!

Our bathroom is divided and we even have an OU dustbuster. WTH???

GO POKES...just because I am a Malone doesn't mean I can't always be a true COWBOY!!! OSU