Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Brother

I have to write about my brother. Not the football coach brother, this one. The fireman brother. The one who told me about the memory boxes. He's a little worried that people will think he's less than feminine if they read that he was talking to me about memory boxes, so I'm here to set the record straight. He's not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). He's married to an adorable girl (woman? lady?) and has two beautiful children. I know he likes girls and just because he told me to make memory boxes does not suggest otherwise.
But I have to be honest. He's not a macho man. He cooks, he helps take care of his kids. I don't know if he cleans, but I'm sure he would if his wife asked him to. He has been known to gossip on occasion and he's one of the most fun conversationalists in the world. He can sit and have a chat with me about raising children or losing weight as if it's fascinating to him. He doesn't speak in grunts and he actually listens when people talk to him. It's not that he's interested in memory boxes, it's that he's interested in me. I love that about him. I know he's not perfect, but sometimes I have to remind myself of that fact.
He is hilariously funny and is almost always in a good mood. I know if I need a pep talk, he's the guy to call. And he'll be positive and listen to me whine about pulling my calf muscle or having to clean poop off the floor even if he's broken down on the on ramp to the freeway in his "paint wagon" pick-up with his two kids screaming their heads off or sitting with his buddies in the fire station doing manly, fireman stuff.
He's a lot of fun. If you want to have a party, call him. He will create the guest list (beware: this will include every person he encounters in the days preceding the party), buy the food, prepare the food and organize who is bringing what. He will buy lots of beer and set out lots of chairs and make sure everyone is having a good time.
He is a great husband and father. He spends a tremendous amount of time with his kids. He will even take them to the doctor if his wife has to work. I think he has even gone shopping with his wife. If his wife is sad or sick, he'll baby her and try his best to make her feel better. He compliments her almost every single time I'm around them and he genuinely thinks she is the most beautiful, fabulous woman on this earth (she is pretty great, I'll admit!). He loves his family and would do anything in the world for them. He mows for my mom and Nana. He helps my sister with manly stuff since her husband is in the Army. He would mow my lawn and carry my groceries if we didn't live 300 miles apart.
And the other thing. He's humble. I honestly don't think he knows how great he is. I know he will cringe when and if he ever reads this. I can hear him now. "Aw, Dode, come on. Don't say that, that's silly. Don't tell people that," not because he's too shy or private, but because he's embarrassed to have someone go on and on about him.
He's a good guy. I like him. Can you tell?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhh he is the closest thing to perfect!!! He for sure makes my life easier!! ok ok you already said it all and he is going to kill us both!!(more you than me) :) He is a great man!!