Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Love You, Sir Smirks-A-Lot

This is my nephew. He just lost his first tooth and started Kindergarten last week. He's a pretty typical 5-year-old boy these days. I like to call him Sir Smirks-A-Lot because he doesn't give big, toothy smiles anymore. He's way too cool for that now, so he just gives a little "I'm trying not to smile" smirk. He doesn't want to talk to me on the phone, he's too big for hugs and kisses (although you can tell by the smirk that he secretly loves it), and he is as rough-and-tumble as they come. On the outside. In truth, this is just about the sweetest boy I know. He has such a kind, gentle demeanor, he makes your heart melt sometimes. He has his moments, of course (don't we all?). He can provoke or instigate arguments with his cousins at times (they are all younger and therefore, totally annoying), and Lord help us all if he hasn't gotten enough rest, but 90% of the time, he's an absolute doll. He's one of my favorite kids in the whole wide world.

And don't tell him this, but I still wish he was this little so I could snuggle with him and kiss him without him pretending to be completely annoyed and grossed out by his weird old lady aunt.


I love you, Sir Smirks-A-Lot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhhh this makes me cry and laugh all at the same time!!!

Why do they have to grow so fast??? I want that baby back that always had rosey red cheeks and cuddled with curly hair!!!

He loves you too, he just can't let anyone else know that!!!
The teacher in you would be proud of him though, he is loving school and tells me everyday what he learns!! I love it!!