Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sneaky

My girls are usually really good about playing together and about knowing what they can and can't get into. Together. I have learned that it is Avery who keeps it honest. I have learned that Reese is a sneaky, conniving little thing. In short, she is a 2 1/2 year old who wants to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it. I always get a bit nervous when I can't hear or see her.
Last weekend, I heard Avery in her room and went in to make sure Reese was in there with her. She wasn't. Avery didn't know where she was. I called for Reese and heard nothing. Uh oh. It's a bit worrisome when I can't hear her, but when she doesn't answer, I know she's up to something. I began searching the usual spots: upstairs in the playroom, our master closet, behind her dad's pants, in the corner of our bedroom behind the chair. I couldn't find her anywhere. I came into the kitchen and yelled one more time. I heard a very distinct, fairly exasperated sounding, "WHAT!"

And this is what I saw:
This is our dining room. No one ever goes in there. Until now. See those little feet sticking out from behind the china cabinet? That's Reese. And I'm nervous about what she is doing behind there. This is a new hiding spot for her, and if she went to the trouble to find a new spot, I'm thinking she's involved in something pretty serious.

What are the little plastic pots lying around her? I'm starting to think I know what she is doing and it's not as bad as I thought.


Yep, it's what I suspected. Makeup. The girls have a purse full of my old makeup that I let them play with on occasion, under supervision. I'm not actually bothered by the fact that she's playing with makeup. Sure, she ruined this cute little top, but that could have happened doing anything. The thing that bothers me is the sneaking. They are always supposed to ask before they get into the makeup. But Reese, fearing the word no, just goes ahead and does whatever the heck she wants to do. Little sneak...are all 2-year-olds like this? It's only been 3 years since Avery was Reese's age and I can't remember...maybe because there was only one of Avery, I always knew where she was and what she was doing. Who knows? All I know is that my husband and I are nervous. If it's true what they say and it really is always the quiet ones, then we're in big trouble!

No comments: