Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Going Green

Ok, I'm going to stand on my soapbox for 2.2 seconds here. I made a New Year's resolution in 2007 to be more green and I'm trying to stick with it. Plus, it's become totally "in" to be green, so how can you go wrong? Help the environment, be cool at the same time. Love it.

ANYWAY....here's one easy (a bit time consuming, but if you have time to read this trash, you have time to do this) way to help the environment without lifting more than your index finger.
www.catalogchoice.org
This is a FREE website that allows you to opt out of any and all catalogs that are clogging up your mailbox. For example: I love Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn Kids. But do I really need to get four magazines a week from them? I think not. They each have websites for my shopping pleasure, plus there's a mall with both stores about 20 minutes from me. Same with Dillard's and Macy's. I don't dislike the store or the catalog, but it's not necessary. Get it? How about Columbia House or BMG Records or any others that go straight from mailbox to trash? Save the environment while eliminating irritating junk mail.
All you do is register, activate using the email they send you and then go through an alphabetical list and select the ones you want to delete.
It's easy and, if you do this, you can totally walk around wearing a shirt that says "Green is the new black."
You know you want to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I did this too. I'm sure my mailman is happy. I like all those catalogs too but I just check them online now.

My green resolution this year was to never use a store's plastic bags again if I can help it. I have about 20 canvas or other fabric totes in my car. That's how I do all my shopping now whether it's the grocery store, Walgreens or the mall. My heels from Dillards looked pretty dorky in a canvas bag but I felt proud of myself. :)