Saturday, August 30, 2008

Kids Are Funny

Last night was one of those rare nights where the kids were not only well-behaved all evening, but also hysterically funny. I will share my favorite conversation. Maybe you had to be there, or maybe you had to have a margarita in your belly, but the whole thing just struck me as funny.

Avery: Mom, there is a girl in my class who just does this to me all the time: shows me how the girl blows in her face and gives her the "raspberries" all the time.

Me: Why in the world does she do that?

Avery: I don't know. She does it when we sit on the carpet and when we stand in line. I never even talked to her before.

Me: That is kind of strange. Have you told her to stop?

Avery: No. I just a-nore (ignore) her.

Me: Well, if she ever says naughty words to you or hits you, you can tell the teacher. Otherwise, just keep ignoring her.

Avery: Can I tell you something and you won't get mad? It's kind of mean.

Uh oh. Here it comes.

Me: Sure, you can tell me anything (gulp.)

Avery: She kind of has, well, kind of has a mean face. It looks like she's mean all the time. And she has alot of leftover boogers on her face. Her mom doesn't wipe stuff off her face at all.

Me: (Holding back laughter) Well, she probably just isn't a very happy little girl and it's probably best that you just be kind but ignore her if she is mean.

That was the end of it until we got in the car.

Me: Avery, I was just thinking. I bet that little girl just wants to be your friend but she doesn't know how to ask you. Do you think?

Reese (out of nowhere), shouting: STUPID OLD MAN!!!

Me: What? What did you just say?

Reese is silent, as if she has no idea what I am talking about.

Me: Did you say 'stupid old man?' Who were you talking about?

Reese: This (points at her car seat buckle, which she has been working on buckling for 5 minutes and can't seem to work it.)

According to Avery, Reese says "Stupid old man" all the time when she's upset. I have no idea where she got this, but I blew snot out of my nose trying not to laugh at her. And then I had leftover boogers on my face, which made me laugh again.

Kids are funny.

1 comment:

Erin said...

freakin' love it...miss you and the kids. keep the school stories coming...love those. i'll call you this week!