Monday, August 11, 2008

The Girls from the Real O.C.

I know I've skipped a few days, but I've had good reason. One, my stupid internet connection keeps going in and out, driving me crazy while I try to write and navigate this site. So I gave up.
The other reason is a really, really good reason to take a break. Girls Weekend.
Last year, three girls I went to high school with and I decided to start a tradition. One night a year, we use my husband's Marriott points for a free night at a hotel and we just hang out. No kids, no husbands, no responsibility. We can drink and no one has to drive home, which is a good thing, because nobody drinks like girls from Osage County. (Bring your own 18 pack, iced down in a bathtub.) It's either in the water up there or it's because there's nothing else to do in that small town except backroad and drink or have sex. We will not discuss the latter. At all.
Back to Girls' Weekend. The best part about this weekend is that we are all friends who have known each other for years and years but none of us are like "best friends." We get along great and pick up right where we left off when we do see each other, but we all live in different areas of the metroplex (and one of us is still living in the O.C.) so we don't spend alot of time together. Girls' Weekend is a great time for us to catch up on each other's lives and relive past moments that no one else can understand.
This weekend was perhaps the best thing I have done in a long, long time. Without going into great, dramatic detail, I'll just say that it seems that my husband and I have hit a rough patch. Some might call it the Seven Year Itch. I don't know what I call it, but it's been tough at times. I've been frustrated, to stay the least. Until last weekend. I think I can safely say that the Girls may have just singlehandedly put our relationship back on track. Who else but your longtime girlfriends can tell you to pull your head out, stop being a victim and do something about your messed up situation? Who else but your girlfriends can make you feel instantly better about your situation because they too have been there? I took everything they said to heart and began working on the situation yesterday upon returning home.
I can guarantee one thing: My husband will never be negative about Girls' Weekend after this. I think he'd be ok with me going once a month. Yikes. Once a month with the Girls from the Real O.C.? My liver couldn't take it.

.

No comments: