Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sick Day

Avery's sick. I'm not sure what her problem is, but she's been stuffy, coughing and head achy for several days. Today when she woke up, her eyes were so swollen, she could barely open them. So I kept her home for a rest day so she could start fresh tomorrow.
And I have a confession to make. It will make me sound like a heartless mother, so prepare yourself....
I'm kind of excited that she's home sick today. Not because I like it when my children are sick, but when it's something virtually harmless like a cold, it's a license to be lazy.
There is no guilt over sitting all day long. Because your baby needs you to be close by in case she needs a refill on juice or a couple of snuggles to make her feel better.
There is an excuse not to "get out and enjoy the beautiful day." You have to stay in and lay around all day. Sure, I could use the opportunity to get some cleaning, laundry, or scrapbooking done. But I probably won't. I mean, what if I was in the bathroom scrubbing the toilet at the exact time Avery needed another cough drop? I would never do that to my child. Plus, if I get too busy, it could possibly inspire busyness in Avery and I need her to be lazy. Lead by example, that's what I always say. Hey, I have my priorities straight.
I also have a stack of magazines that have been begging to be read since they came at the beginning of September. But that's just between us, ok?

No comments: