Sunday, December 16, 2007

Plants

Why do I buy plants? I can't keep them alive. And it's no wonder. We buy them, plant them and forget about them. The mums I got in October were barely even planted. I literally scooted the dirt out of the way, removed the mums from the store pot and set it in the dirt. It wasn't really even in the dirt. It was more or less just sitting on top of the potting soil. Those died within two days. And I left them sitting there for a good 2 months, just withered and dead. The mums looked like root beer-flavored Dum Dum lollipops, only not sweet or tasty in any way.



Here's the poinsettia Aaron bought for the pot last weekend. I think he was just ready for the root beer mums to be tossed out. Avery walked out the front door Sunday afternoon and said, "Mom, I just saw that the plant is dead." She said this very matter-of-factly. She is used to it. This plant, after all, looks better than the mums. Or the moldy pansies that stayed in there from May to August. At least it's still red. And it has that cute little plant stand that my sweet friend, Mel gave me for Christmas.

No, Avery's not critical of my lack of a green thumb. She's just glad SHE gets food and water on a daily basis. (Thank goodness she's old enough to feed herself.)

P.S. Turns out I'm bad at keeping my friendships alive too. My friend, Kim always remembers to send me a card on my birthday, but yesterday was hers and I forgot to even call her, let alone have the forsight to buy a card in advance and get it there just in time for her birthday. So, Kim, Happy Birthday, Girl. Thanks for continuing to be my friend even though I'm such a forgetful loser! Love ya!

No comments: