Saturday, December 15, 2007

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Yesterday, my husband took off work because he wanted to take us all to the movies. Really, he took off work because he's sick of work and he has 4 1/2 vacation days left and needs to use them by the end of the year. But he decided we'd make it a fun day and go to the movies.
We decided, after much debate, to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. Actually, there wasn't much of a debate. I wanted to see Fred Claus, but my husband is sick and tired of me lusting after Vince Vaughn so he put his foot down. I love it when he puts his foot down.
ANYWAY, with three kids at 10:00 in the morning, you gotta see Alvin and the Chipmunks. So we did. And it's awesome. It took me back to the days of the original chipmunks. The cartoons. I loved those stinking chipmunks. I had two, count 'em, TWO of their albums. Yes, I said albums. I played them on my record player (which, by the way, had an awesomely bad Panama Jack sticker on the front of it) over and over. The two albums I had selected for my music catalog? Alvin and the Chipmunks' Christmas Album (they bring one of those songs back in the movie) and.......
Urban Chipmunk. With Alvin on the cover, wearing a cowboy hat. That is one awesome album. I was way too young to watch or listen to anything from Urban Cowboy, so I settled on Urban Chipmunk. I loved it then and if I had a record player to play them on, I'm sure I'd love it now. If more 10-year-olds had Urban Chipmunk instead of Britney Spears or Paris Hilton to listen to, the world would be a better place.
What is it about singing, talking rodents that just makes you fall in love? I don't know either, but the music in this movie is hysterically awesome. We all loved it (even Aaron, who was furious that he had to get up and take Avery to the potty right at "the turning point of the movie!") The remake of The Witch Doctor was a big hit. As with everything else these days, it's turned into quite a snappy little hip-hop dance number. And instead of rushing to Wal Mart to purchase the album as I would have in the old days, we came home and bought it on iTunes, downloaded it onto my iPod, and plugged it into the stereo. The girls and I danced so long and so hard, I was sweating. It almost felt like 1982 again. Only now I have three kids. And bigger boobs. And alot more body to move. I think it's actually better now, bigger butt and all.
Although, I sure would like to get my hands on a turntable so I could scoot a boot along with Alvin to "Devil Went Down to Georgia" just one more time.

No comments: