Sunday, January 4, 2009

I'm Batting .500

So, I basically made two New Year's resolutions. So far, I've kept one and broken one. Not a good sign so far.
1. Go to church more often. We didn't go today. In my defense (as if God needs to hear yet another excuse), we were up late last night as a result of resolution #2. Since the weather goes from 40 degrees one day to 80 the next, my allergies are a mess. I can't do anything without a Kleenex. Including sleeping. So, as I tried to doze from about 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. this morning, I thought "I'm not going to be able to get up and shower and attend a new church. Besides, Rhett is going to lose his mind when we drop him off at class. So we just won't go." Still never got any good sleep, but at least I didn't have to look nice today.
2. Spend more alone time with my husband. (This is a joint resolution.) We went out on a "date" last night. We realized during the car ride to the restaurant that we haven't done anything alone since the movie Stepbrothers was out in theaters. We never hire babysitters, but last night's was awesome. She's kept the kids during the day (the Stepbrothers incident) and they love her. I was nervous about nighttime, but we are desperate for some adult time, so we did it. It all went well and we spent a fun evening sitting outdoors at a "Contemporary Mexican Lounge" drinking Mojitos and laughing at people walking by. It was fabulous (except for the trip to the drugstore to get allergy meds) and a much needed "vacation" for us.

Ok, so if I keep one of the two resolutions, is that a success? It's better than the same old "Exercise every day and stop eating sugar," which I break on January 1 because it's a holiday and if you can't be lazy and eat sugar on a holiday, when can you?

I have some other things I need to work on for the year, and I'll keep you posted on how those things are going. For today, I'm going to clean the house that we spent all day Friday and Saturday cleaning, but is trashed again today. Then, I'll take the kids to the birthday party. Then, we'll sit down and have our own "church" tonight, just like I used to do with my family when I was a kid. Although it won't be the same without Bo here to lead singing.....

No comments: