Thursday, January 8, 2009

Daddy's Boy

It seems like only yesterday that my baby boy was attached to my legs. Everywhere I went, he followed. If I left the room, he wailed until he could see me again. It was glorious. Sometimes annoying, because no one else could hold him or snuggle him, but for the most part, I loved it. He is a champion snuggler, which made it even better.
Ah, but the times, they are a-changin'. He's no longer a Momma's Boy. Don't get me wrong, he still loves me and snuggles me. Just not when Daddy's around. If Daddy is in his field of vision, he is in his hip pocket. If Daddy is not in sight, he's walking around saying "Da-yeeee! Day-yeeee!"
Someone asked me the other day if I was a bit jealous. I said no, but then I thought about it. Am I jealous that he prefers his daddy? Even just an eensy, weensy bit? Honestly? No. Really. REALLY. In fact, I think it's just about the most precious thing I've ever seen. The girls went through phases where they preferred Daddy and although it didn't exactly bother me, I was glad to get them back. But there is something about watching my husband with his son that just touches my heart. Maybe because it's not your typical father-son football, baseball, hunting, fishing, building thing. It's a lovey-dovey, snuggling, I-love-you-too-much kind of thing. I think it's beautiful. It makes me fall in love with both of them about twenty times a day.

This picture was taken Monday, right after Aaron came home from work. He immediately picked Tuna up and lugged him around as he put away his keys, bag, etc. (I use the term "put away" lightly here. He actually dropped them in about 12 different places. I think he enjoys giving himself scavenger hunts for the next morning.) When he had to put him down to change into his "play clothes," Rhett began the "Da-yeee!" chant until Aaron could pick him up again. And here they stayed, as I cooked and got the table set for dinner. It still melts my heart.



Okay, so I have to be honest here. The flip side of having a delicious, snuggly child is that he can be clingy at the most inopportune times. So it's kinda nice that I'm not always the one being tugged on with chocolate-chip hands and a green snotty nose. Plus, Aaron smells the poops first, so you know, he who smelt it, dealt it. Well, I guess that doesn't really apply here because Aaron didn't deal it, but he has to deal with it because The Boy prefers him and who am I to get in the way of that kind of love?

No comments: