Monday, February 11, 2008

I Am SUCH a Tool Sometimes

Sunday, I was at the hairdresser's getting a highlight and a cut. They usually have really strange music playing. Well, maybe not strange, but totally alternative and kind of hard for a beauty salon. But yesterday, I really enjoyed the CD they had going. It was more mellow than usual. An old song by Sting came on and I said to my hairdresser (who is older), "I love this song...this is a good CD today." She agreed and before I could say anything else, I overheard one of the younger hairdressers say, "Oh my gosh, who put this CD in? This is horrible. Why do we even own this? God, it's like old lady easy listening."
Yeah. That's me. I'm confessing my secrets now. I tell everyone that I love hip hop. And I do. But, truth be told, there is less hip hop and more old lady easy listening on my iPod right now. Think Kenny Loggins, Carly Simon, Johnny Cash, etc. I even have "Jolene" by Dolly Parton on there. So whatever, I like it. And I'm not ashamed anymore. I like loser old lady easy listening music. This is nothing new. Sunday's incident reminded me of a similar time when I was in college.
I had had a car accident (not my fault) and my car had to be in the shop for about a week. The other driver's insurance paid for everything, including a rental car. Which was a Ford Taurus STATION WAGON. Now, as a 21-year-old college junior, this was not my idea of a cool rental car. I was totally mortified to drive through Stillwater in this red, soccer-mom vehicle. But, as we all know, life goes on and I decided one day to brave the roads and run to Braums to get an ice cream cone. As I pulled out of Braum's, cone in hand, I scanned the radio for a good song. (I am, by the way, a perpetual scanner. I don't allow down time on the radio.) You know the song, "Still the One?" I have no idea who sings it, but it's old. 70s old. It's like "We're still having fun, and you're still the one..." Anyway, I like it. It's nerdy, but I like it. It hasn't been popular in my lifetime, but I still like it. So I turned it up. Did I mention that the windows were down? It was a nice spring day and the windows were down. And I had the song turned up. And I was singing. And tapping my thumb on the steering wheel and licking an ice cream cone. At a stop light. Where I happened to glimpse a boy in the car to my right. I turned to look. Two cute boys. In a nice car. Looking at me. Oh yeah, I'm hot, boys. Young, single and ready to mingle. That's right, follow me.
Then it hit me. Young, decent looking girl. In a red station wagon. Eating ice cream. YELLING 70s music along with the way-too-loud radio. They weren't looking because they were interested. In fact, I feel sure they were just soaking up the whole situation so they could laugh hysterically at me when they drove off. And they did drive off when the light turned green. FAST. Yep. I'm a tool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am all about the oldies. Seriously, a little Rod Pitts rubbed off on me and I rock to 103.3 pretty often!! And although I didn't get a station wagon, I had a friggin Bonneville for a month when my car broke down in Edmond. I feel your pain.