Saturday, January 26, 2008

Unmotivated

I am in serious need of some help. I can't get motivated. I want so badly to run the OKC Half Marathon with my brother and his sister-in-law in April, but I can't seem to motivate myself to train the way I need to be training. Granted, I haven't been running more than 2-3 miles since I had children. But before I got married, I ran a full 26.2 mile marathon and even after marriage, spent many Saturdays running around the lake, 9.3 miles. So it's not that I don't like to run. Or that I'm scared of the mileage. I don't think I'm just lazy. I'll do my workout DVD's and go to the gym most days of the week. It's almost as if I have a mental block against running for some reason.

When I was younger, my dad had this big dirt pile in our backyard. Our backyard was large, therefore, we had room for such things. I still don't know what the dirt pile was for, but from time to time, Dad would yell at the boys, "Let's go outside and move that dirt pile." For a couple of hours after that, they would shovel the dirt from one side of the yard to the other. I have no idea why. I don't think anyone knows. And we aren't supposed to ask.

What's the point of that little story? The point is, that right now, I'd rather be out there moving an unexplained pile of dirt from one location to the other for no apparent reason, than running the measly 4 miles on my agenda for today. I know I will be mad at myself if April comes and goes and I miss the run.
For now, I'm going to Runnersworld.com to see what these dedicated running freaks have to say. But if you have any words of advice on how to get excited about this, I need to hear it. Please. Help me. Save me from my boring gym-DVD-housewife workouts and get me back out on the road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess everyone was afraid to respond to this one. Not sure if they are unmotivated too or just to lazy to respond, but I believe in you and it is OK to be unmotivated if you would rather spend it with your family.

Don't expect me to respond any more. I just love you and very proud of you. aj