Friday, January 18, 2008

Leftovers


Why do I save leftovers? Do I honestly think that anyone is going to eat them? I know I'm not. Well, except for the Weight Watchers Taco Soup, second from the bottom. I ate that until I couldn't stand to even hear the words Weight Watchers, taco, or soup. But really, did I think my husband, the veggie-hater (or anyone else for that matter), was going to grab that top bowl and go to town on leftover green beans? What about the Italian style meatballs I had leftover from spaghetti and meatballs? Who is going to eat meatballs without the spaghetti?
Then there's the bowl of Little Smokies in BBQ sauce. Great appetizer, for sure, but I rarely find myself sitting around thinking, "Man, I wish we had some Little Smokies in the fridge." And the bottom bowl? Delicious the first time around, but leftover pasta is usually not as good reheated. And I'm the only one who liked it in the first place because it contains spinach and tomatoes.
I guess I know why I save them. So I don't feel wasteful. But is it any less wasteful to throw them out a week or two later than it is to just toss them in the first place? You save fridge space, plus you don't have to wash the plastic containers.
That's it. I'm taking a stand. No more saving leftovers unless it's something I know I'm going to need or want again. Never.
Ok, my next question is this: Why did I waste mine and everyone else's time writing about leftovers? Because I'm leaving for Oklahoma today and I am in a hurry and I got irritated when I realized I had umpteen bowls to clean before I left.
Sorry to bother you with the mundane details of my life. It won't happen again.
Yeah, right.

No comments: