Thursday, April 22, 2010

How Do I Keep a Straight Face?

Reese has a dentist appointment this morning. It's just for a regular check-up and cleaning, but the last time we were there, the dentist told her that, if she didn't stop sucking her fingers, we'd have to put a mouth guard in. We've tried everything: threats, bribes, wearing a glove on one hand, appealing to her vanity and explaining what it does to her teeth, etc. Nothing works. I'm afraid the mouth guard is inevitable. Probably not today, but I bet he suggests it today. Aaron and I discussed it last night, just wondering how much something like that costs. We thought we were talking privately, but apparently not.
I reminded Reese this morning that we had a dentist appointment and she started sobbing and sucking her fingers. I said "You love the dentist. Why are you crying?" She could barely get these words out: "I don't want a lifeguard in my mouth!"
How am I NOT supposed to laugh at that? I had to hug her and bit my lip to keep from laughing out loud.

Let's all cross our fingers that the "lifeguard" isn't necessary and if it is necessary, that it's not a gazillion dollars. Thanks!

No comments: