Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Remember These?

Remember these?

This is one of those little craft kits you can pick up at Hobby Lobby...I bought tons of little kits on that aisle at the beginning of the summer. The kids love stuff like this. I got this kit out yesterday morning and they have worked almost non-stop (we took breaks for meals and a brief water balloon fight this morning) on them ever since. After lunch today, Reese and Avery went right back to work on theirs. I was still arguing with Rhett over eating the grilled cheese he asked me to make and then refused to eat. All of a sudden, he starts crying. At first, I thought it was over the food and I was about to send him to his room. Then I noticed that he's grabbing at his face. I asked what was wrong and he cries, "It hurts!" At that exact moment, a tiny pink bead came flying out of his nose. But he kept crying. And digging in his nose. "Are there any more up there?" I asked. He nodded his head yes. I said "Why?" and immediately dismissed the question and any answer that might have followed. I told him to blow his nose as hard as he could. Nothing. Well, not nothing, but no beads came out. I pinched his nose and felt something hard in there. He squealed even louder, yelling "Dat hurt, Momma!" Definitely still beads up his nose. I told him to keep blowing while I called the doctor's office. As snot flies all over the kitchen, the message service at the doctor's office answers. Great. They're on lunch break. I honestly don't know if this is an emergency or not. I hear about kids doing this all the time...so I know he's not going to die. But do I need to rush to an ER or can I wait for the doctor to eat lunch? I call my husband to see if he knows. (Rhett is still blowing) Of course, he doesn't answer. I hang up, tell the girls to finish their popsicles because we are going to the doctor. As I spin in circles wondering what to do first, Rhett yells, happily, "It's right there!" I look down and there, at his feet, is a tiny green bead, covered in snot. Whew. That was a close one. If you looked at him right now, you'd never know he was in the middle of a traumatic meltdown just 5 minutes ago. I'm glad we didn't have to go to the doctor and have some nasty probe shoved up Rhett's nostril, because you just know I would have had to hold him down. Yes, I am definitely relieved...and I think I'll just leave that "Why?" alone for now.

No comments: