Monday, August 24, 2009

First

Today was the first day of first grade for my firstborn. A big day, for sure. Probably not as big as the first day of Kindergarten, but still...another milestone. She took it all in stride, only getting very quiet as we walked into school and looking very shy when the teacher showed her the backpack hook. I know she is excited, especially because they have homework in first grade.

I am not terribly thrilled that she's growing up so fast, but I was terribly thrilled when she wanted to wear a pink shirt on the first day of school! (Thank you to Old Navy for making girl shirts with superheroes!)

Another thing to note is the backpack:

Over the summer, Bo and April came for an overnight visit. They came bearing gifts, one of which was this Javelina backpack. Apparently, the softball coach gave it to Bo and April, so they gave it to Avery. At any rate, it's an official college softball team backpack (The yellow writing says "Javelinas" and the number 2) and she loves it. This was the backpack she insisted on carrying to first grade. It's huge and heavy and has more compartments than she will ever need, but Uncle Bo and Aunt April gave it to her and that's all she needs to know it's the perfect backpack for the first day of first grade.
P.S. I got up at 6 this morning so I could have myself ready before I got them up. I actually dressed in matching clothes and put on makeup because I was having friends over for coffee and mimosas to celebrate the first day of school. I also knew that I would be walking Avery inside today and seeing other parents and teachers in the process. What I didn't know was that my shirt was on wrong side out the entire time. That'll teach me to get up extra early just to try to look cute. It's sweats and ball caps for the rest of the year. (It was probably going to be anyway, but at least now I have an excuse.)

No comments: