Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Punishment

Remember when you were a kid and your parents would say "This hurts me more than it hurts you," when they would spank you? I doubt you believed it any more than I did. But today, for the first time ever, I kind of know where they were coming from. I haven't spanked my kids recently or anything, but Avery is being punished today. She was up half the night last night screaming that she was scared of the dark. She would NOT stay in her bed, no matter what happened. And, of course, her screaming woke every person in the house. So she is in trouble for ruining everyone's night and making us all exhausted today. Before you think I'm an evil person for punishing her for being scared, let me tell you two things: 1. There is a huge pink flower nighlight in her room, and 2. Avery isn't scared of much of anything.
So, she is in trouble today. No TV. No movies. No computer games. She has to clean her room and use her imagination to find things to do. Oh, yeah, and it's raining today. And cold. So I can't say "Just go outside," when the whining about being bored and having nothing to do starts.
My friend called this morning to invite us to the mall for a play date. I had to say no because Avery is in trouble and going to the mall to play isn't much of a punishment. I have to stick to my guns if I don't want a repeat performance tonight, so I'm missing out on some much-needed adult conversation and a trip to the mall today.
And I have to work out in a minute. And clean the house. And finish up the laundry.
I think I can officially say, "This hurts me more than it hurts them."

No comments: