Monday, January 4, 2010

A Day to Remember

I received an email from Avery's teacher today, telling me that Avery wasn't her "normal, cheery self" today. She said Avery seemed kind of distant and maybe she was concerned about me being sick.
I was sick all day yesterday and on the mend today so I kind of thought her mood might have something to do with the fact that I was isolated in my room, with fever, on a day when we usually snuggle and cuddle together in the evening. Combine that with her daddy getting her ready and rushing her along on the first day back to school after a two week vacation and it's no surprise that she might feel a little blue.
When she got home (someone else brought her home because I was afraid to leave the house for too long), I asked her how her day was. She was perfectly cheerful and had the same happy attitude she normally does. I told her that her teacher emailed me that she seemed sad and she said "Yeah, I was sad today." When I asked her why, she said "Because you were sick and I was worried. I just couldn't stop thinking about you."

No, I'm not bragging or trying to be unnecessarily sappy, but I have to mark this day in history because I have a sinking feeling that, someday in the not-so-distant future, she'll be perpetually annoyed with me and wanting very little to do with me. When I feel like I might just strangle her and when she wants to run away from home, I can pull this out and remind her that, once upon a time, I was her whole world. As she is mine.

No comments: